My name is Katja. I am 21 years old and I was born and raised in Düsseldorf, Germany. I’ve always loved traveling the world and was lucky enough to be able to start traveling at a young age (as you can see in that picture of me as a little globetrotter). I just love discovering new places, exploring new cities, and experiencing different cultures.
So far, I’ve only made trips for up to a few weeks (well, except for 10th grade, when I spent half a year going to school in Toronto, Canada). But a few years ago, I decided that I would take a Gap Year in between my Bachelor’s and my Master’s degree to go traveling for a few months. And now, that time is finally here! I finished university at the end of June 2018 and made my way to Bali at the end of August. Bali is the first stop of what’s supposed to be nine months of traveling by myself.
As you can imagine, I’m quite excited about this. Never having backpacked before, always having to plan everything down to the detail, and being quite introverted at times, this is going to be a big challenge for me. When researching destinations (of course I did, I want to be prepared for everything after all!), I had to read in a lot of different places in order to find out everything I wanted to know. That’s why one of my intentions for this blog is to give detailed guides to the places I’ve been to.
In addition, I’ve been eating a plant-based diet since April of 2016 and I’m traveling alone, both of which can be challenging on the road. So I will be giving tips on that as well. Finally, I’m going to write about my journey and the experiences I’ve made to keep my friends and family (and hopefully you!) updated on what I’m doing.
To get to know me even better, here are some random facts about me:
- My name is pronounced cut-ya (ya like in Yahoo) but I’ve heard a lot of different variations of it; ranging from Caitya to Catcher (sometimes even sounding like ketchup). Had I been a boy, I would have been called Daniel.
- I never really had a commonly used nickname but always wanted to have one.
- I am an introvert. When I am in a new situation/ surrounding/ group, I always observe at first before joining in on the conversation. At times, I also find it hard to approach strangers to ask them for something or just make new contacts. (I’m getting better at that, though!)
- Yet I love to be on stage; I’ve never missed an opportunity to perform something in front of an audience. As a kid, I wanted to be a singer, dancer, and actress.
- I’m a sucker for self-development books and would love to be a coach, motivational speaker, and/or author someday.
- I’m a perfectionist which can suck. I’ve put a lot of pressure on myself during high school and university which resulted in quite a few breakdowns. It’s also the reason I started this blog just now instead of 9 months ago when I originally wanted to.
- I hate roller coaster rides and horror movies. Hate them. Don’t ride/watch them. (So much for stepping outside of your comfort zone).
- I’m an optimist (most of the time). I’m very trusting that things are going to work out. Some may even say I’m naïve; I’ve only applied to one school in Canada and one university – but so far, it always worked out.
- I’m an absolute planning freak, so backpacking is going to be quite the challenge for me.
- I’ve been to 23 countries so far but plan on increasing that number quite a bit during the next few months.
- I’m in New Zealand at the moment, which is the furthest I’ve ever been from home. The longest time I’ve ever been away from home was 4 months during my time in Toronto.
- I love living in the city but when it comes to traveling, I’d take beautiful nature over a cool city anytime.
I think that’s it for now. If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. You can do so here or click on the social media icons that will bring you to all my profiles.
Please stay tuned to hear about my adventure of a lifetime!